Monday, November 18, 2013

Store Website Reviewers

Now this could be a touchy subject, but someone needs to talk about it.  When I am thinking about purchasing something I like to read other peoples experience with the product.  So since I do most of my shopping on Amazon I just look at the review of the product from there.
You would think that there should be some kind of regulation to be able to even post a review.  Maybe having an IQ of at least 100, or maybe owning the product that you are reviewing.  Sure sometimes it's funny to read the reviews of the people who have no clue what they bought.
Here is an example of a stupid one.
"I bought this latest Layton series game because all the others are great."  So far so good right?  "When I saw 3DS on the box I was asured it would fit because at the bottom of the package it states 'Playable in 2D and 3D mode..'"  Now we may become confused about what this person is talking about.  "I have a DS-XL and the game does not fit."  OK, so not very smart.  "There is a protrusion to one side that prevents the cartridge from engaging fully into the slot ... Since the box is already opened and I can't return it, I'm going to see if cutting off the protrusion with work."  Now at this point I was crying with laughter.  Now I am not saying precisely that this person is stupid (OK, maybe I did say that), but it was stupid in what they did.  They did no research before they purchased it, and they are now going to make the product unusable in any sense.  I then went on to read the many comments that were left on this review to see if they said anything more in there.  All I found were people just putting them down for being stupid.
Now here is one from someone who hates on Nintendo.  He doesn't even purchase the game, just leaves one star reviews to be a hater.
"This game is not bade u know," So far it seems alright  "not bad in the sense that the game is not bad."  OK?  "The worst thing about this game is the fact that it is on the wii u, or better yet pee-u lol u know what I mean."  Now I see he just is a hater.  "The wii u controls are like awful n stuff, you gotta draw around on sum stupid tablet and guide some little fairy dust thing around some cave and it gets nowhere.  The game is brought down by this mess and it is only on the wii u version.  so bad."  Now after reading this you may be completely loss by the horrible English used.  In fact it does sound like something a early education student would say.  So lots of the comments were people calling his bluff.  At least people realized it was stupid (And the only one star for this game on Wii U).  I then looked at this guys profile to see his other reviews.  Out of the nine Nintendo games that he had reviewed, eight of them were one star reviews.  The other one was a COD game which he gave a three on Wii u, but a five on xbox.  On his first two reviews he refers to Call of Duty.  The rest either have the word stupid or poop in it.  Since he rated the COD games highly I would guess that he was born either in the very late ninety's or early 2000 era.  A time where people were born in the Halo era and all they know is FPS games.  They don't know any real kind of gaming.  Here is an example of one of his five star reviews.
"What can I say about this game besides the fact that it is literally the only reason to own a game console anymore.  No joke this is the only game I ever play and I am maximum level prestige and I still never get tired of this game.  If you have a brain in your head you would be playing this game.  Forget about everything else, this is the only game you need."  This was from BLOPS 2 by the way.
So that is why Amazon, and other places I have seen, should regulate who is able to post a review of a product. Than we would not be getting these bogus reviews that bring down a rating of a good game, or bring up a rating of a game that isn't that great (I used to play cod and I probably wont ever put my hands on another copy as long as I live).

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that some peoples idea of what a review is totally wrong. They should review the quality of the product, not their ability to use said product.

    It just shows that you also have to factor in the source of the review and not just the review. A review for a fridge would be more reliable on a forum about the general quality of kitchen appliances then a forum about which is better Kenmore or whirlpool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much so true. Wars between different items is not a correct way to go about things.

    ReplyDelete