Sunday, November 24, 2013

Max Payne 3 Impressions

     Alright.  So if you happened to glimpse at my page today you would know that I purchased this game from Amazon plus the Season Pass for a whopping $6.99 (I could not pass that deal up, for a game that is supposed to be good).
     Now I had a hard time getting this game started up.  It probably had something to do with my putting my computer to sleep when it was still downloading the files.  When I uninstalled and redownloaded the game it seemed to work much better.
     Most of you that have played a Rockstar game recently probably know that you need a Social Club membership in order to play the game and you need an active internet connection (or at least that what it was telling more).  So when I was having the initial troubles that I was having of getting it to run I created an account and linking it to some of my other accounts that I may or may not eventually play another Rockstar game on.
     Once I was able to play (after getting it installed from waiting another 4 hours for it to download) I went and started the story mode.  Now here is something, I bought my PC brand new this year and it was labeled as a gaming PC.  This game was released more than a year and a half ago.  So you would think that my computer would have not trouble playing it towards the higher end of the settings.  I guess not (probably because when they say it is a gaming PC, that means you are able to be able to meet most of the minimum requirement to play a game).  So I worked on the resolution for a while until I was able to feel like it started to move smoothly.
     I supposed I should point out that this is the very first Max Payne game that I have laid my own hands on.  I remember watching a friend of mine play the first Max Payne and thinking it was awesome with bullet time and such and then Max Payne 2 came out.  I don't know I wasn't really into shooter back then maybe that is why I never picked those games up.
     Now the reason I brought this up is because you need to know about some of the Max Payne history in order to understand what is going on.  Yeah you find out that your wife and daughter were killed and you are always drinking and taking meds to numb the pain (which makes for some interesting game play).  Do I know how his wife and kid died?  Nope.  So this does not have any back story leading into the game.  Once you get to the fourth chapter you do start getting a story on why you are doing what you are doing now.
     When I was reading other reviews on this game there was a lot of mention about how there are a lot of cut scenes and hardly any play time.  True this game does seem to run in cut scenes a lot, but those scenes drive the story forward.  If it weren't for them you would miss out on a lot of the story that is being presented.  Sure it would be nice if there were more playing sections, but I think the formula is fine the way it is.
     Sometimes when I was playing Max would seem to go where he wanted to go and not where I wanted him to go.  Most of the time this happened when coming out of cover or sharply changing directions.  Some minor issue are that you can't crouch and run, run under cover.  I forgot after the intro on how to dive, but later found out on accident how to do it by trying random buttons.  Over all though I think the controls are solid enough.
    So far I am on chapter 5 of the story and it seems to be a good story to keep more playing until this end at least one time through and maybe another time to get all the collectibles.
    I then decided to try out the multiplayer part of it and saw only 80 people playing at the time I was one.  I guess since this was release a while ago people are not playing this as much now as back then.  My settings must have been too much for multiplayer to handle because when I walking fast but moving slow.  Everything else moved normal speed though, just not my guy.  I changed my settings, but had to restart the game, so I just decided to call it a day for today.
    For reviews I don't think I will give it a rating, just my opinion.  Right now I say it was well worth the $6.99 that I spent on it.  Maybe this will change once I play it more and get to the end, and have good online matches.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment