Monday, October 14, 2013

My Want List 2


Good morning

If you need an explanation of what this is all about make sure you check out my first "Want List" which explains it.  You can find that by going here My Want List 1.

Now, the first thing you probably noticed, if you are like me, is that photo on my page.  This shows a game that is coming out way in the future called "Tom Clancy's The Division".  I will get to why I have this picture in a minute.

First I will tell you what I want.  I want a reinventing of the FPS genre that succeeds.  There has been attempts, but they have been flops.  The only game that I regularly play that has any kind of FPS element in it is Borderlands 2, and I don't even classify that as an FPS game.  It is more of an adventure, shooting, RPG kick ass game to me.  The games that I am talking about are the mainstreamed games; like Call of Duty, Battlefield and even Halo.

I remember when the original Halo came out and I would spend the night at one of my friends and we would just go around shooting each other and laugh hysterically while doing so.  That was how fun it was.  Even recently I played online with one of my friends in Firefight on Reach and I put some skulls on that made it impossible for us not to lose and we were having the time of our lives.  That was all and good.  When we get to the online play and challenge others is when there is a problem, but before that even is the campaign.

I fell that if you are spending your hard earned money (does not apply to little kids who should not be playing these games) that you should get what you payed for.  Not a rehash of the previous years game with a different campaign that was thought of at the last minute and only lasts four hours regardless of the difficulty.  A game should be no shorter than ten hours to go through the campaign, on regular difficulty.  There needs to be content.  That is one thing I can say that Halo did well, it was a story that felt like it mattered and you would want to play it again to see if there was anything you missed.  When playing these other games you get to the end of the campaign and that's it, it is over.

I don't know if it is just me, but there are too many people who play online that should not be playing, or lie to get placed in a room that makes it way easier for them.  I am just a casual FPS, I play to have fun and don't really care on whether I win or lose, but when you get placed into a room for just such people and you lose with 20 deaths and 3 kills, and you see other people on your team with just as bad scores, while someone on the other team has 100 kills and maybe 4 deaths, you know something is not right.  These people take all of the fun out of the game.  Then you get the players that are being babysat by their game.  A game that they should not even be playing, and are so annoying to play with, this also take the fun out of it.

Just so you know if you want to skip to the next paragraph this one gets way side tracked.  I grew up playing video games.  Ever since I was three we had and NES, sure I was not a great player, but I had fun.  I don't know where I learned the phrase this game is cheating, but I would use that a lot.  When playing Mario, if I fell down a hole because I didn't just, the game was cheating, if I jumped into a parakoopa the game was cheating.  The thing that I think is different from when I grew up to this generation of gamers is that playing a game was a reward.  Get your chores and your homework done then you can play a game for a few hours.  Now it seems like kids must lock themselves in their rooms and turn their TV on and start playing COD or any other game.  And when they go to school the next day the hand in three out of the twenty math problems they were assigned and they wonder why they fail my class.

So the reinventing to the FPS.  I feel that Tom Clancy branded games do an awesome job of this.  I have both the Rainbow Six Vegas games (second I think was a cash in project) and Splinter Cell Conviction, and Ghost Recon 2.  While watching the E3 press conference where the PS4 and Xbone were revealed there was a game, one game that I thought to be much better than the rest, beside this years Watch Dogs that is coming out, and that game was Tom Clancy's The Division.  I have a feeling that this game could right some of the wrongs that are out there now with these games.  Now I know it is a 3rd person shooter, but it is shooter none the less.

And this is one game that I Want.




No comments:

Post a Comment